2004-2005 Polaris Scrambler ATV 500 idle too low, too high or idling erratic refers to then the all-terrain vehicle’s engine runs too slowly while disconnected from a load or out of gear, to fast or inconsistent. This article discuss the many causes to why a 2004 or 2005 Polaris Scrambler experiences low idle, high idle or idles erratically.
Idle Too High
Check for one or more possible malfunctions. Refer to the download repair manual for how to fix the following conditions.
- Check for a damaged idle mixture screw or incorrectly adjusted idle. Refer to idle adjustment procedures in download service manual.
- Vacuum slide sticking.
- Throttle cable routed improperly, sticking or needs adjustment.
- Obstructed or restricted idle jet.
- Choke cable routed improperly, incorrectly adjusted or sticking.
Idle Too Low
- Obstructed idle jet.
- Worn needle jet or jet needle.
- Ignition timing set incorrectly.
- Idle mixture screw damaged or adjusted incorrectly.
- Belt dragging.
- Idle speed not adjusted to factory spec.
- Idle jet obstructed.
- Needle jet or jet needle worn or damaged.
- Idle speed (speed limiter) adjusted improperly.
- Choke cable adjusted incorrectly or bending. Refer to repair manual for download factory service manual for adjustment procedures.
- Throttle cable misadjusted.
- Dirty carburetor, air leaks (pilot circuit).
- Pilot mixture screw misadjusted or damaged.
- Tight valves.
- Fouled spark plug.
- Worn internal engine components.
- Air cleaner dirty.
- Belt dragging.
- Ignition timing misadjusted.
These are the main causes for why a 2004 or 2005 Polaris 500 idles slow, fast or erratically. If you’re unsure how to repair what has been listed, download the repair manual. It will teach you how to fix everything previously mentioned. Polaris Magnum manual.
My atv is idling rough. I was going to download the manual but I want to know if it also has 2004 Polaris Scrambler 500 4×4 rear axle replacement guide?
Yes, complete step-by-step repair information, photos, schematics etc.
Does the repair book have 2005 Polaris Scrambler 500 fuel pump instructions?
Yes, it contains maintenance, troubleshooting and repair information.
I have a 2004 Polaris Scrambler 500. When I apply gas the engine bogs and stutters and I have no power at all. Sometimes it stalls in gear or out of gear.
How to I adjust he idle on my Polaris Scrambler 500?
Refer to the repair manual for carburetor diagram. On the left side of the carb, sitting on the bike. Turn carb screw counter clockwise will reduce RPMs and turning it clockwise will increase RPMs. The throttle free-play should be 1/8 inch. Best to have the download repair manual handy when making adjustments.